S. Luke Flory, Ph.D. (PI)
Professor and Associate Chair
Research Foundation Professor
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
UF SNRE Interdisciplinary Ecology
UF Latin American Studies
UF Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants
UF Environmental Horticulture
Office: 3127A McCarty Hall B
Lab: 3128 McCarty Hall B
Deah Lieurance, Ph.D.
Coordinator, IFAS Assessment of Non-native Plants in Florida’s Natural Areas
I am responsible for the implementation of the IFAS Assessment including 1) the Status Assessment, used to evaluate the invasiveness of non‐native species that currently occur in Florida’s natural areas, 2) the Infraspecific Taxon Protocol, used to evaluate the invasive potential of horticultural selections and cultivars, and 3) the Predictive Tool, used to determine the potential invasiveness of species that are not currently found in Florida but are proposed for introduction (e.g., biomass crops and ornamental plants).
My dissertation research addressed many aspects of mechanisms contributing to the success of non-native Lonicera species and included plant-herbivore interactions, chemical ecology, enemy release, tolerance and resistance to herbivory. I also have experience in the areas of ecosystem ecology, plant allometry, ecophysiology, and the testing and development of biocontrols for prominent invasive plant species in Florida.
Jesse Borden, M.S.
I am fascinated by the interconnectedness of living things. I am broadly interested in how ecosystems function as whole communities and specifically how they respond to specific changes and disturbances, particularly those that are anthropogenic in nature. My most recent research has focused on forests degradation from urbanization and habitat loss and how arboreal herpetofauna species are responding to such degradation in both Florida and Kenya.
Emily Pappo, M.S.
I am a coffee roaster and master’s student living in Portland, Maine. Broadly, my research interests focus on the impact of climate change on coffee agriculture at ecological and community levels. Through my master’s research, I seek to identify within commercially available Coffea arabica cultivars, a gradient of resilience in response to projected changes in climate. I hope to use my studies and research to enhance the sustainability of coffee agriculture, in order to defend the livelihoods of coffee producers and those who depend on the coffee industry and to protect the health of the environments where coffee is grown.
Drew Hiatt, M.S.
Ph. D. Student
I’m interested in understanding the mechanisms of plant invasions, with an emphasis on how phenotypic plasticity as well as post introduction evolution / hybridization can impact spread and range expansion.
- Elise Williams (University Scholars)
- Ashley Schuler (UF/IFAS Experiment Station Intern)
Postdoctoral Research Associates
- Amy Kendig, Ph.D.
- Susan Canavan, Ph.D.
- Whalen Dillon, Ph.D.
- Christina Alba, Ph.D.
- Kerry Bohl Stricker, Ph.D.
- Gio Tomat-Kelly, M.Sc.
- Sam Scherneck, M.Sc.
- Tabitha Petri, M.Sc.
- Kristin Hinkson, Lab Manager (2019)
- Taylor Clark, Lab Manager (2017 – 2019)
- Cathy Fahey, Ph.D.
- Jules NeSmith, M.Sc. and Lab Manager (2013 – 2017)
- James Estrada, Ph.D. and Lab Manager (2011 – 2013)
- Chris Wilson, Ph.D.
- Bryan Tarbox, Ph.D.
- Dïnia Cartry, M.Sc. Student and International Graduate Student Intern (University of Rennes 1)
- Callie San Antonio (University Scholars)
- Amaleah Mirti (University Scholar, Lombardi Scholar)
- Stanley “Will” Dezern (University Scholar, Honors Thesis)
- Katie Nickerson (University Scholar, Honors Thesis)
Undergraduate Research Assistants
- Gianna Arcuri
- Zobia Chanda
- Laney Davidson
- Zadok Jollie
- Shannon Regan
- Mariam Higginbotham
- Trevor Green
- Avery Schmmeur
- Jacob van der Zee
- Trisha Mutisya
- Amanda Bishop
- Gabrielle Seminara
- David Notman
- Ryan Truesdell
- Penny Reif
- Daniela Menendez
- Lili Benitez (REU program)
- Vida Svahnstrom (REU program)
- Austin Young (Lombardi Scholar, IFAS Assessment)
- Christina Wiley (Lombardi Scholar, IFAS Assessment)
- Hannah Borchelt
- Anbinh Ho
- Alex Garcia (undergraduate research volunteer)
- Hannah Moore
- Zach Higginbotham
- Nick Johnson (Lombardi Scholar)
- Ethan Landrum (Lombardi Scholar)
- Gabriel Smith (State University of New York, REU program)
- Amy Conant (Post University, Connecticut, REU program)
- Bruna Trentin (Brazil Scientific Mobility Program)
- Ananda Van Doornik Christo (Brazil Scientific Mobility Program)
- Wesley Lewis
- Sheila Scolaro
- Andrea Sakelson
- Micah Weiss
- Sarah Morris (IFAS Assessment)
High School Research Assistants
- Mily Gandhi (Student Science Training Program)
- May Zhou (Student Science Training Program)
- Jasleen Kahlon (Student Science Training Program)
- Joanne Zhao (Student Science Training Program)
IFAS Field Experiment Station Interns
- Kevin Scheiber (2017)
- Matthew Akers (2015)
- Ben Sperry (2014)
- Jules NeSmith (2013)
- Erin Hamilton (2012)